Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Moonlit Tryst

A slight rustle of leaves traveled quietly through Darnassus, flowing softly beneath the decks of buildings. Only one of which was of interest to the sound. It stopped, sampling the air around it. A snort expelled the air from its lungs, continuing along its way.
Finally, it turned its senses to a ramp leading into a house. The great cat removed itself from the shadows, sniffing the ramp. It rubbed its head on the ramp, leaping up onto it silently. Sharp eyes spotted the edge of a blanket, tassels adorning its edges, covering a form beneath. The cat slipped around the bed, slid under, and grabbed the blanket in its teeth, pulling it off the bed and in turn covering itself. The cat twitched its tail from side to side, watching the blanket’s owner reach for the missing piece, sigh heavily, then sit up. The green-haired girl peered around in the darkness, quickly spotting her blanket on the animal. She slid off the bed, sliding her feet into sandals.
“That’s mine…”
The cat sidestepped away, causing the girl to frown. “Ach… Come here, give it back. I don’t need any games right now…”
The cat trotted from the house, blanket still concealing it. Sintas sighed, smoothing down her hair and taking her robe from one of her bed posts. She hurried after the cat, wrapping the robe around her as she followed. The cat slipped outside the rows of houses, into the Temple Gardens.
“You’re not supposed to be here!” Sintas called after it, trying to keep up while trying to keep her sandals on. This can’t be just a cat. Obviously. She coughed a bit, her throat still stiff from sleep. “Broll! Come on, let me sleep!”
The cat turned its head for a moment, then continued on, deeper into the gardens. It slipped quickly into a grove of small trees, snaking easily through the brush. The blanket was pulled from its back on its way under the bushes. Sintas sighed with relief, finally to the bushes. She bent down, taking the blanket in her hand, tugging on it lightly. The cat, however, tugged back, teeth in the blanket. She frowned. “Broll, come on! This isn’t the time!” She pulled back harder, lost her grip, and fell into the bushes with a yelp. The cat backed up, blanket in its mouth, moving out of view. Sintas furrowed her brow. She was too tired for this nonsense. What did he want with her blanket, anyways? She pushed herself up from the bush, wincing slightly as she relaxed her right hand. Her palm opened, and she found a long, red mark in the middle of it. She slumped against a tree, pressing her lips to the wound for a moment. Honestly, why am I out here… I should have just let him have the blanket. I’m too tired to even concentrate on healing this… She groaned. What a night… She peered around into the darkness, spotting a flagstone path, iridescent in the moonlight. She quickly stepped over to it, still nursing the wound on her hand. The path continued past the bushes, into a sitting area. Two benches sat on either side of a table, all pieces composed of white marble. She tread the path carefully, looking for the shimmer of her blanket. Her eyes scanned the brush carefully, watching for any eyes peering out at her. Her gaze returned to the table and benches, realizing the blanket had been under one of the benches.
“Finally…” She strode over to the bench, crouching down to pick it up. “Broll, you enjoy your animal forms far too much for my patience at the moment…”
Still crouched, she realized there were two feet on the other side of the bench. She blinked, following the feet to a long cloak, evergreen and velvet. Adorning the shoulders was intricate silver embroidery, winding in patterns akin to slim vines, leaves spreading below the vines. The hood was simple, wide enough to shadow the person’s features.
Her eyes narrowed slightly as she held her blanket to herself, taking a step back. The tall figure reached a hand out from the cloak to caress her face. “Don’t go… Not yet.”
She raised her brows. “Fandral… What… Why did you bring me here?”
He stepped over the bench, standing within inches of her. He reached down, taking her hand and turning it to view the wound on its palm. He shook his head slowly. “My apologies…” He pressed his finger into one end of the wound, sliding it slowly across. A green glow followed his finger, sealing the wound shut without a scar. “…but I desired to meet you without chance of being seen.”
Sintas lowered her head, sighing softly. “Fandral… It’s too late. It won’t matter. There are rumors—“
He pressed two fingers to her lips gently, shaking his head. “I don’t care. You’re right, it won’t matter. So what difference does it make?”
She watched him for a moment, hesitating. “You’ve been alone for such a long time, haven’t you, Fandral…”
He nodded, slipping off his hood. “But you. You’ve been there for me.” She shook her head slowly, but he placed his hand on her cheek. “Sintas… You have.” He paused, jumbled thoughts stalling him. “You’re… I enjoy your presence. Your input. You’re the one visitor I miss on your absent days. We argue, you’re… We’re stronger for it…” He sighed, lowering his head. “I… What I mean to say is… You’re the only one I actually want to see.” He gazed down into her eyes, stroking her face. “Sintas, I… I—“
She turned, shaking her head. “Fandral, no.” He quickly took hold of her shoulders, turning her back towards him. “Yes.” He watched her, determined. “And why not? You told me if I felt something was missing, I should try finding it.” He pulled her against himself. “Sintas, I’ve been thinking for a very long time… But I thought you were promised to another.”
She pulled back slightly. “Fandral, I—I can’t.” She shook her head. “How can you even imagine this? We don’t agree on anything, I’m probably already in trouble as it is—“
“In trouble with who?”
She blinked, eyes darting up to him. “…It’s wrong. You can’t just favor me like that.”
He smirked. “I’m the Archdruid. I’ll watch them try and stop me.”
She shook her head quickly. “No… No, don’t you get it? It would discredit you!” She sighed heavily. “That just… That’s a terrible idea.” She lowered her head. “I’m probably seen as some sort of seductress by now, anyways…” Closing her eyes, she let out another sigh. “Fandral… Why did you do it?”
Fandral stroked her hair gently, easing her head forward to rest on his chest. “It was right of me. I wanted to… So I did. Do I need further reason?”
Sintas gazed up at him, her expression torn. His loneliness must be unbearable… But I can’t possibly be the one to fill that void. I just can’t.
He lifted her under her shoulders slightly, leaning down to place a kiss on her cheek. “I don’t often beg… But now, I am. Please…”
She shivered in the cold night air, raising her hand to place her fingertips on his lips. She gazed up at him; He was certainly handsome. A thick beard, mane of mossy hair, sculpted face… And powerful: physically, socially, and magically.
Very powerful… What would happen if she refused him?
But he’s not that bad, right? Sintas thought, frowning as she remembered just how bothersome he could be. He was rarely in a good mood. This vulnerability he was showing her, this pleading face, this was not Fandral. She didn’t know what it meant, but it couldn’t be good, coming from him.
She drew her hand back, shaking her head. “I’m taking the day off tomorrow. I’ll see you at the meeting on the third.” She stepped back, watching him carefully. Rage wasn’t overcoming his expression… His hands weren’t clenching into fists. All she really saw was disbelief. She turned, striding out of the garden and wrapping her blanket around her shoulders.
Sintas strode along the path of iridescent flagstones, the cool, cleansing air of the gloaming sliding across her skin. She closed her eyes, already knowing the path. It was the right thing to do, she thought. It wouldn’t have been true, and it definitely wouldn’t have been enjoyable, to say the least. He’ll find someone who is completely enamored with him, I’m sure. After all, he’s the Archdruid. He’s sure to have fans somewhere.
She opened her eyes, frowning. Something was above her, she could sense it. She looked up, watching a storm crow glide down to the path in front of her and shift, becoming the familiar form of Broll. He frowned at her. She smirked. “I should have known.”
Broll snorted. “I can’t tell what it is you’re up to. I think I’ve figured out your aims, then you surprise me yet again.” He shrugged at her. “So what will you do? You will attend the meeting? Have you changed your mind so quickly?”
Sintas narrowed her eyes. “I’m not afraid of rumors, Broll. They won’t stop me from conveying my better judgment of a situation. I’ll attend the meeting and I’ll do all I can for the best outcome.”
“This isn’t about your ‘better judgment,’ Sintas. This is about the fact that no one will believe you.”

Fandral watched as Sintas shrank into the distance along the path. How can she just… Just ignore me?! He sighed. What did I do wrong… Watching her a moment more, he blinked. She stopped on the path. A bird landed in front of her.
...Broll? What’s he doing here?
Fandral narrowed his eyes. If this is what I believe it to be…

Sintas shook her head. “No, I’m not that childish. Is it so hard to believe that I hope to make a difference? Is it shameful that Fandral had his own ideas about the relationship between us? It is not.” She stared up at Broll, his height being less noticeable now for some reason. “I will do what is right. I will perform my duty to our people by providing wisdom and insight to important decisions. Silly gossip and one man’s desires will not impede my progress in doing so, Broll!”
Broll grasped her shoulders, returning her hard stare with his own. “You fail to understand, even still! I am telling you what is for your own good, can you not accept it? Sintas, just lay low for a while, until this petty gossip has run its course, then return to the public eye! Otherwise, you only damage yourself! Where will your chance to make a difference be if you ruin it outright?”
Sintas raised a brow. “You’re desperate to be in the meeting, aren’t you, Broll?” She tilted her head. “Is it Ashenvale?”

Broll’s hands were on her. And she wasn’t pushing him away. Fandral’s jaw clenched. This is how she thanks me. For all the recognition and good recommendations I’ve given her, this is what she does. He had seen enough. He fell onto all fours as his form shifted back into that of the cat, slinking off into the shadows. His heart, which had grown heavy in his chest, now swelled with burning rage. But he was comforted. His rage was familiar to him, it was common.
And he was very justified in such rage.

wisp,night elves,world of warcraft,gif,animated

No comments: